Well, I'm now on reinstall number four! Reinstalling the TOC patch really screwed things up.
I reinstalled in the following sequence:
1. Uninstalled TPOTS
2. Deleted all game files in the TPOTS folder but I can't find the data files so there were some remnants of previous installs.
3. I reinstalled URU and TPOTS.
4. I installed the TOC patch
At this point I could get into the game but many links didn't work. They led to the "black void" and frozen game.
5. I installed Drizzle and pointed it to the correct server address.
6. I converted files for TPOTS, MOUL, and MYST5.
7. I installed offline-KI and required age descriptions.
Another test yielded similar results obtained after step four above.
8. I reinstalled the No-CD patch.
At this point the game apparently changed to an offline game although I don't know how to confirm that for sure. The important thing is that all links appear to be working including some new ones.
The game currently does not require a login. That is why I think it has changed to an offline version. I think I'll leave it this way for now and start doing some serious exploring. Aside from there being no login, is there any other way to determine if the game is online or offline?
All help to date, is appreciated. Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated.