Login    Register
  • Author
Crashes significantly more frequent after update.

Postby calroger » Sun 10. Aug 2014, 19:51

After the most recent update (with moving object), crashes are occurring much more frequently. When I first found TOC a couple years ago, there were a lot of crashes especially when standing in one place and rotating with right mouse button. Over time, the system became much more stable. Now the crashes have returned. They occur most frequently on the boat but not always. I am wondering if this increase has anything to do with the object that is moving around the cave. It apparently has its own environment as does the boat.

The crash sequence is: freeze, black screen, sometimes an error window pops up saying troubleshoot or exit. Other times, it locks up the system and task manager must be used to exit.

Maybe I need to reinstall the launcher. I don't have any dumps or other diagnostic data. If someone can tell me what you need, I will try to obtain the data and either post it or email it.

I hope the mystery object is not the cause of the problem. I am still trying to ascertain its "agenda" (e.g. how it moves, when it moves, and if one can take a ride in it. I know exactly what the object is. It comes from a BBC television series. I hope someone got permission to use it!!
Thanks,

Cal
Cal (Akon in game)
---------
HP Pavilion P6347C, AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor, 2.80 ghz
nVidia GeForce GT640 Graphic card
6 gb RAM
1.2 tb (1200 gb) on three drives
Windows 10 Home Edition
Directx V.11
calroger

MOULa Name: Retiredman
MOULa KI#: 16603428
TOC-MOUL Name: Akon
TOC-MOUL KI#: 208406
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 0
DI KI#: 0
Gehn Shard Name: Retiredman
Gehn Shard KI#: 124834
Minkata KI#: 0

Re: Crashes significantly more frequent after update.

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Wed 13. Aug 2014, 15:14

same here unfortunately :(
Zesty of Xeniphers

MOULa Name: Zesty of Xeniphers
MOULa KI#: 20053
TOC-MOUL Name: Zesty of Xeniphers
TOC-MOUL KI#: 250135
DI Name: Zesty of Xeniphers
DI KI#: 218448
Gehn Shard KI#: 0

Postby RockArdemar » Wed 13. Aug 2014, 18:56

"Significantly" is not the right word in my case, I'd say "slightly" would apply better here.
In both occasions (2 out of 10 or so) I crashed while exiting the game.
It is still nothing compared to the frequent crashing during the first year, when it could happen in any moment just out of the blue.

However, I observed the game is less crashy when I enter it with "as administrator" option.
Last edited by RockArdemar on Sun 17. Aug 2014, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.
KI 42627 - FB | T
RockArdemar

MOULa KI#: 34143
TOC-MOUL KI#: 42627
DI KI#: 235532
Gehn Shard KI#: 17785
Minkata KI#: 70951

Postby Acorn » Thu 14. Aug 2014, 00:11

I logged in just now but crashed within a minute or two :(
Acorn

MOULa Name: Acorn1
MOULa KI#: 0
TOC-MOUL Name: Acorn
TOC-MOUL KI#: 0
Gehn Shard Name: Acorn
Minkata Name: Treehugger

Postby calroger » Thu 14. Aug 2014, 15:06

I thought I would try reinstalling to see if things improved. Four reinstalls later, I finally got it working again. I have tried running in admin mode and my first session went without incident. I will try again today. I am trying to track and understand the Tardis.

Cal
Cal (Akon in game)
---------
6 gb RAM
Windows 10 Home Edition
Directx V.11
calroger

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Sat 16. Aug 2014, 20:46

kirk and i never had any problems before. TOC was the most stable place of all shards and also more stable than MOULA. we never experienced any crashes. since the last update though, crashes are something that happen quite often, actually every time we go there to play and today it was almost impossible to play. we crashed about 5-6 times within one hour :( after which we decided to give up.
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby calroger » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 02:42

When I reinstalled (for the fifth time!) I copied the .dat and .sfx folders in their entirety from MOULa before installing. The only error during install was just a warning that once TOC-Moul was installed, this software could no longer be used to access Cyan's MOULa. That's OK. I don't want to do that with this installation. I then edited the launcher shortcut to always run as administrator. Since then, I have had only one crash and numerous successful sessions. However, I still crash on exit every time[b]![/b]

I still don't know anything more about the Tardis. I have seen it in four locations. Players I met online say they have seen it in six locations. I have not found those other two locations.

Cal
Cal (Akon in game)
---------
6 gb RAM
Windows 10 Home Edition
Directx V.11
calroger

Postby RockArdemar » Sun 17. Aug 2014, 04:33

Yes, that's what I meant, precisely.
I didn't have to reinstall, being on Win7, but since the new update I crashed twice on exit and once more (since my last post) when I turned a bit too abruptly on the Museum entrance - I unexpectedly spotted the Tardis so I quickly turned around to see it better and approach it - and that was it.

So: 3 crashes, 2 of which on exit. In some 10-12 sessions in all. For me, it is still not a big deal. We used to have more crashes in the past.
That's why I remarked that "slightly" would have been a better description than "significantly".

And besides, Cyan's official MOUL crashes much more than the OC's. Just this very evening Tom crashed out in the middle of a sentence because of (yet another) Net6. And Ahnonay there has always been extremely crashy in the 2-players part. And I was unable to even enter it for a few months for some still unknown reasons (not that I missed it, but it's just an example). Etc.

A few months ago, even the Guilds were considering other options for the monthly AGM because the Mainstream MOUL is way more unstable than the independent Shards : check this post for more info.
KI 42627 - FB | T
RockArdemar

MOULa KI#: 34143
TOC-MOUL KI#: 42627
DI KI#: 235532
Gehn Shard KI#: 17785
Minkata KI#: 70951

Postby Zesty of Xeniphers » Sun 24. Aug 2014, 21:22

unfortunately, whatever i do i still experience lots of crashes. i experienced 3 crashes just now, withing first 5 minutes of entering the game. all in COD. so there was no point to continue.
it is such a shame. TOC was my fav shard and the stablest places of all. now it is the most unstable of all that i play (MOULA, DI and TOC) :(
Zesty of Xeniphers

Postby Vaughan » Sun 24. Aug 2014, 21:49

Because of my marker problem I played all ages with a new Account and a new Avatar. There were no crashes at all. As soon as I am in the COD it crashes every few minutes.
I have the impression that the Chrashes occur especially at those points where the camera in 3rd person view perspective is changing during the movement of the avatar, and on those points where the Tardis appears.

Ich habe aufrund meines Marker Problems mit einem neuen Account alle Ages durchegspielt. Es gab kenerlei crashes. Sobald ich aber in der COD unterwegs bin crasht es alle paar Minuten.
Ich habe den Eindruck das die Chrashes besonders an den Stellen auftreten an denen die Kamera in der 3rd Person view die Perspektive während der Bewegung des Avatars verändert, und an den Punkten an denen der Tardis erscheint.
Vaughan

MOULa Name: Vaughan
MOULa KI#: 34641
TOC-MOUL Name: Vaughan
TOC-MOUL KI#: 318005
DI Name: Vaughan
DI KI#: 240154

Next

Return to Bug Reports