Login    Register
  • Author
Install apears not to work with WinXP

Postby Isobel » Thu 3. Jul 2014, 13:06

Hi, i am trying to return to the cave after quite a long time away. After a clean install, URULauncher fails with the error that it isn't a valid win32 application. If i roll back to an earlier version it gets as far as the download for the updated files. Then, having received the URUExplorer, that then also says it is not a valid Win32 application.

I suspect this is due to the .exe's being compiled on a version of windows later than XP. Is this correct? If so, is there any fix - or do i leave TOC until i get round to upgrading my OS at some point in the distant future?

Many thanks,
Isobel
Isobel

MOULa Name: Isobel
MOULa KI#: 0
TOC-MOUL KI#: 0
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 0
DI KI#: 0
Gehn Shard KI#: 0
Minkata KI#: 0

Re: Install apears not to work with WinXP

Postby Alien » Thu 3. Jul 2014, 15:23

Looking at this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=505 might help
How to use some Not So Basic Commands in TOC

TOC is Image
Alien

MOULa KI#: 14279348
TOC-MOUL KI#: 201394

Postby Isobel » Thu 3. Jul 2014, 18:21

That's that answered then. Looks like i won't be in TOC for the forseeable future.

Many thanks Alien.
Isobel

MOULa Name: Isobel
MOULa KI#: 0
TOC-MOUL KI#: 0

Postby calroger » Thu 3. Jul 2014, 18:23

Have you tried compatibility mode for XP? I don't know if that will work or not but it's worth a try.

Cal

(edit) Disregard. You said you were running XP and thus my suggestion does not apply.
Cal (Akon in game)
---------
HP Pavilion P6347C, AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor, 2.80 ghz
nVidia GeForce GT640 Graphic card
6 gb RAM
1.2 tb (1200 gb) on three drives
Windows 10 Home Edition
Directx V.11
calroger

MOULa Name: Retiredman
MOULa KI#: 16603428
TOC-MOUL Name: Akon
TOC-MOUL KI#: 208406
Gehn Shard Name: Retiredman
Gehn Shard KI#: 124834

Postby RockArdemar » Fri 4. Jul 2014, 18:31

Pity. I was looking fwd to meeting you again Isobel.
But maybe some time soon the incompatibilites get overcome somehow.
In the meanwhile, there are always Gehn and DI as other Alternatives.
Take care and all the best!
KI 42627 - FB | T
RockArdemar

MOULa KI#: 34143
TOC-MOUL KI#: 42627
DI KI#: 235532
Gehn Shard KI#: 17785
Minkata KI#: 70951

Postby Mystler » Sun 6. Jul 2014, 10:23

Let me note that Gehn has dropped XP support, too. ;)

Isobel, I'm sorry that you can't play on TOC now, but I think Gehn and TOC announced their reasons early enough.
A) XP is de facto an outdated system that is dangerous to use and you should upgrade as soon as possible.
B) Keeping support for the XP runtime was blocking developers/programmers to use recent technology in the code.
Mystler
Development Manager

MOULa Name: Mystler
MOULa KI#: 150272
TOC-MOUL Name: Mystler
TOC-MOUL KI#: 346

Postby calroger » Mon 7. Jul 2014, 04:12

Mystler wrote:A) XP is de facto an outdated system that is dangerous to use and you should upgrade as soon as possible.
B) Keeping support for the XP runtime was blocking developers/programmers to use recent technology in the code.

I have to strongly disagree with point a above. XP is probably the most stable and easiest OS to use since Windows 95. I think Windows 7 is more dangerous and Windows 8/8.1 is several orders of magnitude more dangerous. The Cloud is probably one of the most dangerous things developed in the past decade.

Regarding point b, it is my understanding that the technology has updated to keep up with the new operating systems, not the reverse.

I just "downgraded" from XP to 7 a few months ago after using XP very successfully since it was first released. My wife's laptop (Dell Inspiron) came with Win 8 and I upgraded it to 8.1 with the free download. Working on her computer is difficult for me. Troubleshooting problems is completely different than XP or 7. I find 7 to quite similar to XP in many ways.

To put all this in perspective, I have worked in the IT field for the past 30 years. The first 15 years as a programmer and the last 15 as a system administrator for XP, 2000, Unix, and Linux.

I have probably stirred up a hornet's nest here but let me say I very sorry to see TOC and Gehn stop support for XP. I am even more upset that MS stopped support for one of the best OS they have produced in the last decade.

Cal
Cal (Akon in game)
---------
6 gb RAM
Windows 10 Home Edition
Directx V.11
calroger

TOC-MOUL Name: Akon
TOC-MOUL KI#: 208406
Gehn Shard Name: Retiredman
Gehn Shard KI#: 124834

Postby RockArdemar » Mon 7. Jul 2014, 22:41

Mystler wrote:Let me note that Gehn has dropped XP support, too. ;)

Ah! Didn't know that :oops: Sorry. :)
KI 42627 - FB | T
RockArdemar

MOULa KI#: 34143
TOC-MOUL KI#: 42627
DI KI#: 235532
Gehn Shard KI#: 17785
Minkata KI#: 70951

Postby Mystler » Tue 8. Jul 2014, 10:37

calroger wrote:XP is probably the most stable and easiest OS to use since Windows 95.

Calroger, please don't irritate people. While I agree that XP was a decent OS, it is very dangerous to use now. Stating that it's dangerous is not an empty phrase, it is the truth. Windows XP is now the El Dorado for Crackers and people writing malicous software, viruses, trojans. Why? They know that a lot of people don't want to upgrade and whenever security holes are found (which is not rare nowadays), they can write software to exploit them with the knowledge that Microsoft will not fix those vulnerabilities. I know that Antivirus softwares are still updated, but that is false safety. Ways will be found to use those exploits to work around the antivirus programs.

The sad fact is: When the developer of an operating system decides to drop support for it, nobody can guarantee you that it's safe to use.
Sometimes, Windows XP might still be useful, e.g. for old hardware that only has XP compatible drivers. But for that, you can use it in a virtual machine.

So let me repeat my appeal: If you still use XP you should either use it without an internet connection (which wouldn't make much sense for URU Online) or upgrade to an OS that can guarantee security.

Last but not least:
calroger wrote:I think Windows 7 is more dangerous and Windows 8/8.1 is several orders of magnitude more dangerous.

What makes you think that? Just because of a cloud that you don't have to use or that you can disable? Because system settings are in different locations? How do you define security, then?
It feels like you are encouraging people not to upgrade to an OS that you're not comfortable with - and stating that you worked as an administrator is not much of an argument for or against the security of an operating system.

We really have to let go of the 13 year old and outdated XP.

Sorry for my extensive post, but this is something I intended to give some clarification about.
Mystler
Development Manager

MOULa Name: Mystler
MOULa KI#: 150272
TOC-MOUL Name: Mystler
TOC-MOUL KI#: 346

Postby calroger » Tue 8. Jul 2014, 14:50

Mystler, I have the greatest respect for you and I don't want to turn this into an ugly internet debate. So...let us agree to disagree and move forward.

Cal
Cal (Akon in game)
---------
6 gb RAM
Windows 10 Home Edition
Directx V.11
calroger