Login    Register
  • Author
Re: Install TOC-MOUL on OS X Using Wine

Postby Korovev » Tue 5. Aug 2014, 21:48

For once, I agree :lol:
Oddly, I can still use 1.5.21 on Gehn (could be the last time – and keep in mind I have OSX 10.6.8). Wrapper version is still 2.5.8.

I’ll soon update my guide. I would still recommend the 1.5.x engine for any other shard except TOC-MOUL and Gehn.
ImageImage
Ready-made shard wrappers, Wineskin guide, D’ni language notes, D’ni UCSUR font, DniTools
ReGalpo Rilesa téníen šemtí!
Korovev

MOULa KI#: 46116
TOC-MOUL KI#: 236871
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 55350
DI KI#: 194197
Gehn Shard KI#: 137074
Minkata KI#: 132812

Postby 4runner » Wed 6. Aug 2014, 14:08

Cannot update TOCmoul. Norton 360 keeps shutting it down and deletes launcher. I can update if I shut off Norton, but when I try to run it, Norton shuts it down. I tried changing the Norton insight to trust, but it didn't make any difference. And I am not going to run computer without virus protection.
4runner

MOULa Name: 4runner
MOULa KI#: 149803
TOC-MOUL KI#: 0
TOC-TPOTS Name: 4runner
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 39798
DI Name: 4runner
DI KI#: 24085
Gehn Shard KI#: 0
Minkata KI#: 0

Postby Ainia » Thu 28. Aug 2014, 07:22

Many thanks boblishman for figuring out the Wine engine issue!! I'm now back in. :)

One gotcha I encountered after logging in successfully: there was a weird jittery windowblinds effect on my screen. This was easily fixed by going to the MOUL graphic settings and ticking the Vertical Sync checkbox.

All is now right with the world. :D
ImageImage
Ainia

MOULa Name: Ainia
MOULa KI#: 112888
TOC-MOUL Name: Ainia
TOC-MOUL KI#: 84076
TOC-TPOTS Name: Ainia
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 0
DI Name: Ainia
DI KI#: 136890
Gehn Shard Name: Ainia
Gehn Shard KI#: 41736

Postby Ainia » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 04:24

Shorah again,

Perhaps I spoke too soon...

Today when heading to TOC MOUL, I struggled with a number of very distressing issues.

1. The transition process went *very* slowly on all counts. When logging in and awaiting my game welcome screen; when transitioning from the welcome screen to Relto; when linking from Relto to the Nexus; when linking from the Nexus to an Age... and on and on and on.

2. The screen had constant refresh/redraw problems. During the long transitions, the old screen and waiting screens would be overlaid. Going into my Relto closet, trying to scroll through the options had everything overlaid with everything else. Moving around in an Age, old views and new views would be overlaid.

For the second issue, toggling out of the game and back in forced a redraw which quickly deteriorated again. So this made things manageable... but only barely. I fiddled with the graphics settings during the first session this happened and things went just fine until I quit and restarted the game. My graphics settings were as I'd left them but the old symptoms were back. I double-checked that the Wineskin had Decorate Windows unticked, so I know this is not the problem.

I have no idea where to even start trying to troubleshoot this. But my bigger question is *what the heck has changed*??? Last month, things worked fine for me and now they don't. Today, things are only barely working and even then, only with a *lot* of patience and very annoying workarounds. If I knew exactly what changed, I might have a clue what to troubleshoot here... but overall, I would call this build very broken. :(
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Korovev » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 11:55

Perhaps this is related to the more general issues TOC is currently undergoing.
ImageImage
Ready-made shard wrappers, Wineskin guide, D’ni language notes, D’ni UCSUR font, DniTools
Korovev

Postby Mystler » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 13:45

I'm sure the CoD crashes are not related to the problem here. Also, we haven't changed anything since the last update on August 4th.
Remember, you are not running the client on Windows which is, unfortunately, the only system it is developed for. If you encounter strange problems with Wine or Wineskin, please don't blame the TOC client for incompatibilities. I know how tricky and version-dependent Wine can be sometimes.

However, here are some ideas that might help you:
- URU seems to have a strange bug that slows it down when running under 60 Hz. (See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=512&p=3366#p3381) Try checking your refresh rate.
- Missing support for Windows XP might also require you to set your Wine to run in Windows 7 or 8 mode.
- Make sure the dependencies (which the launcher installs automatically on Windows) are met. You'll need the MSVC 2013 runtime, DirectX, PhysX+PhysX legacy and OpenAL. It's been over a year since I regularly played games with Wine, but I remember fiddling with winetricks pretty often.
Mystler
Development Manager

MOULa Name: Mystler
MOULa KI#: 150272
TOC-MOUL Name: Mystler
TOC-MOUL KI#: 346
DI KI#: 0

Postby boblishman » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 14:31

The other "problem" is that we are all not using the same version of Mac OSX. I'm running 10.9.4 (Mavericks) and all is well and obviously I can't troubleshoot for earlier versions that I don't have. My only advice is to keep trying different engines.
boblishman

MOULa Name: boblishman
MOULa KI#: 0
TOC-MOUL Name: boblishman2
TOC-TPOTS Name: boblishman
DI Name: boblishman
Gehn Shard Name: boblishman

Postby Korovev » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 16:49

Good, I was just considering a possible variable ;)

I did a very quick test, and it seems to run fine for me (engine 1.7.18, OS 10.6.8, wine set to XP, OpenAL and Visual C++ 110 & 120 DLLs inside TOC folder).
The 1.7.18 engine seems to slow down the wrapper a lot with older machines like mine.

To change the emulation mode, go to Advanced > Tools > Config Utility (it might take a while to load) > Windows Version.
ImageImage
Korovev

Postby boblishman » Mon 1. Sep 2014, 20:40

I can confirm that I have been in today and running around the CoD without ANY problems ... so its not the Shard at fault ... it's your Wineskin version/engine/settings and Mac OSX version that are not compatible. I have all the shards (MOUL and CC) up and working. Maybe it's time to upgrade to Mavericks ... :o
boblishman

MOULa Name: boblishman
MOULa KI#: 0
TOC-MOUL Name: boblishman2
TOC-TPOTS Name: boblishman
DI Name: boblishman
Gehn Shard Name: boblishman

Postby Ainia » Tue 2. Sep 2014, 16:10

Sorry boblishman, OS isn't the issue here. I've been using Mavericks for a year now and keep it updated.

Mystler, where can I find out what changed on August 4th? That's what I was asking about (but didn't know the exact date to ask for). I am guessing (rather wildly) that this is where things have gone south for me but cannot look any deeper without having the details. Or are your suggestions focused on the possible impacts of the August 4th changes?

I won't have time to troubleshoot this for a while. The obscure settings it looks like I'll have to fiddle with means I must plan for a long day at this, which is not very appealing ATM...

In the meanwhile, does anyone have a working wrapper I can use? That would be a much simpler fix for me.
ImageImage
Ainia