Login    Register
  • Author
Install TOC-MOUL on OS X Using Wine

Postby gabriml » Tue 17. Apr 2012, 21:26

I have successfully installed and have been using for over a month the TOC-MOUL client SW inside a Wine wrapper on OS X.

I used the instructions to install the Gehn shard as my starting point. http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtop ... 117&t=5631

The problem is that the TOC-MOUL installer is not friendly to the Wine wrapper (i.e. wineskin). I had to manually copy a working PC copy of TOC-MOUL into the wineskin's 'Program Files' folder (from a network share but a CD would work too). I think I had to manually install the 'vcredist_x86.exe' and 'PhysX_Setup.exe' softwares--but I cannot remember clearly--Olg Guy Syndrome. Then I had to manually link the 'UruLauncher.exe' file to the wineskin. Then make sure to turn off 'Decorate Windows for the wineskin in 'Screen Options'.

It should work but you will have to learn a bit about Wine and its Wineskins. The Wineskin is essentially a Windows environment that you run your program in with a C Drive contained in the package. I'm currently using wrapper version 2.5.4 and engine version 1.5.0.

You also need access to a working TOC-MOUL program folder image. This will likely be the stumbling block for most Mac users.

I was hoping that the admin team would modify its install program to work with Wine to simplify installation. Then all a Mac user needs is an up-to-date Cider wrapper version of MOULa which is more likely to be available (see post http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 989#364792 to get a working Cider wrapper version of MOULa).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gabrielson

Psalm 2:12b
gabriml

MOULa KI#: 0
TOC-MOUL KI#: 0
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 0
DI KI#: 0
Gehn Shard KI#: 0
Minkata KI#: 0

Re: Install TOC-MOUL on OS X Using Wine

Postby RockArdemar » Wed 18. Apr 2012, 01:55

Thanks Mark! :) This is very interesting.
I have a MacBook laptop, and I never even thought of playing Uru on it (my home computer is a PC).
But if it is possible, it could be very helpful for some boring situations (airports, waiting rooms, queues, etc., wherever there is a wifi connection and some time to bridge over).
I might come back to you for more details some day soon :)
KI 42627 - FB | T
RockArdemar

MOULa KI#: 34143
TOC-MOUL KI#: 42627
DI KI#: 235532
Gehn Shard KI#: 17785
Minkata KI#: 70951

Postby Opa » Wed 18. Apr 2012, 13:14

Seems some one don't want me to answer this thread. Sorry.

Opa
Opa

Postby lteyn_tahn » Sun 27. Jan 2013, 18:40

Hi

I've only just joined the forum today. I'm running MOULa on Os X.6 using the original GameTap cider wrapper and the instructions that were posted here.

I would really like to run TOC-MOUL on my computer, but I'm afraid I need some pretty precise instructions how to do it. I'm a little wary of following the instructions for downloading the TOC-installer as described here, because it seems as if my MOULa account will be somehow overwritten?

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Lteyn_Tahn
lteyn_tahn

Postby gabriml » Wed 30. Jan 2013, 07:10

Your Moula and TOC-Moul accounts reside on the server and cannot be overwritten. And the TOC installer will not overwrite your Moula install--it actually copies most of its files from the Moula folder. That is why you need a an up-to-date Moula install.

What you really need is a PC you can install TOC-Moul on (and also MOULA from which TOC-Moul copies most of its files) and then burn a copy of that folder to a DVD or share the folder on your local network.

You will have to learn more about Wine than you want to. You need to know:
1. how to make wrappers
2. how to find the 'C-Drive' in the wrapper
3. how to copy the TOC-Moul folder to the wrapper's 'Program Files' folder (easy drag-n-drop).
4. how to link the wrapper to the 'UruLauncher.exe' file
5. how to install 'vcredist_x86.exe' and 'PhysX_Setup.exe' in the wrapper.

Hint: Right-click on the wrapper and pick 'Show Package Contents' which reveals the 'C Drive' and Wineskin app. Then use the 'Wineskin' app to make changes to the wrapper. Make sure to to read carefully my above post and the GOW post (link above).

Its not really a task for the faint at heart but it works well once you get things setup.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gabrielson

Psalm 2:12b
gabriml

Postby lteyn_tahn » Wed 30. Jan 2013, 20:18

Thanks, Mark. I know The Portal Team website has tuition about using wrappers, and as soon as I'm in the right frame of mind I'm going to go through the tutorials.

I'm sure you're right, it would help if I could understand the basics. For MOULa I just followed someone's step-by-step instructions, which did work, but I want to become adept at this myself. Cheers!
lteyn_tahn

Postby gebhartc » Tue 3. Jun 2014, 21:46

I'm on a Snow Leopard MacBook Pro and I can get the Moul engine to start just fine, and can even get to the main screen where you select your avatar, though the entire background is black. When I click play, I just get a light blue screen and can't go anywhere. I've tried all the above advice, and the game seems to work, but I get no visual display. Not sure what the problem is, though I suspect it has something to do with the Visual C program. Any advice?
gebhartc

Postby boblishman » Wed 4. Jun 2014, 18:33

yes... I had the exact same problem... and changing the wineskin engine to 1.5.20 (I had to download it first) and it fixed it for me. Also, if you want to play on the tPotS server as well... you'll need the Good Old Games CC installer, and Drizzle too. Head over here and see the nightmares I've just been through to get all the Shards working ... it explains everything about me getting both of the TOC Shards working on Mavericks ...
boblishman

MOULa Name: boblishman
TOC-MOUL Name: boblishman2
TOC-TPOTS Name: boblishman
DI Name: boblishman
Gehn Shard Name: boblishman

Postby gebhartc » Wed 4. Jun 2014, 22:23

Thanks a million boblishman! I now have the Moul shard working. Would you by chance know how to toggle the window so as to hide the app dock at the bottom of the screen? I have to panic link to get back to Relto!
gebhartc

Postby boblishman » Thu 5. Jun 2014, 00:45

There are two options. You can right click (cmd click) on the dock separator (between the apps and the trash) choose options and tick Automatically hide dock ... The other one is to make the app run in fullscreen by setting the "decorate windows" to off in the Wineskin (advanced/screen options). Mine runs perfectly in fullscreen with no dock icons.

btw, I have also managed to get the Minkata Shard up and running using Wineskin 1.5.2
Last edited by boblishman on Thu 5. Jun 2014, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
boblishman

MOULa Name: boblishman
TOC-MOUL Name: boblishman2
TOC-TPOTS Name: boblishman
DI Name: boblishman
Gehn Shard Name: boblishman