Login    Register
  • Author
Hidden Room -- Off Topic

Postby calroger » Fri 21. Nov 2014, 18:32

After all the discussion of the hidden room in COD, I am reminded of a real hidden room on a US Naval Ship. Some time after the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier (CVAN65) was put into service, some crew members were exploring the ship. They found what seemed to be an anomaly. There seemed to be a space they could not access. They could find their way all around it but could not find a door. After much hunting, measuring, pounding on walls, they were convinced that something was there. They finally convinced the ships captain and he authorized the cutting of a hole with an acetylene torch. They did so and when they entered, they were amazed. They found a fully equipped machine shop with all the latest in machinery and tools. However, there were no doors anywhere in the compartment and no hatches on the floor or overhead (navy talk for ceiling). Apparently all of the equipment was installed and tools, etc were installed before the bulkheads (walls) were welded in place. Why someone never noticed there were no doors, I have no idea.

This may be a myth, but I heard the story from several sailors who had been stationed on Enterprise. The Enterprise was a "floating city" so one wonders if there were other rooms never found??
Cal (Akon in game)
---------
HP Pavilion P6347C, AMD Athlon II X4 630 processor, 2.80 ghz
nVidia GeForce GT640 Graphic card
6 gb RAM
1.2 tb (1200 gb) on three drives
Windows 10 Home Edition
Directx V.11
calroger

MOULa Name: Retiredman
MOULa KI#: 16603428
TOC-MOUL Name: Akon
TOC-MOUL KI#: 208406
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 0
DI KI#: 0
Gehn Shard Name: Retiredman
Gehn Shard KI#: 124834
Minkata KI#: 0

Re: Hidden Room -- Off Topic

Postby janaba » Fri 21. Nov 2014, 19:47

Very interesting, calroger, but I don't wonder about that at all, and as you're suspecting already, I am very certain that there have been most probably many more 'hidden or secret rooms/halls/chambers' with special armory/tools and other high-tech equipment to be prepared for all possible emergency situations/operations etc., so that no one would put their hands on it beforehand or at all ... I mean, The USS Enterprise (CVAN 65), later USS Enterprise (CVN 65), was, as they say
the Navy's eighth ship to bear the name - was the world's first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. During her more than 50 years of service she has set many records and milestones including steaming with a speed of more than 40 knots during her sea trials after construction. Later, she became the first nuclear carrier to transit the Suez Canal and the first carrier to operate the F-14 fighter aircraft. Additionally, the ENTERPRISE is still the longest warship ever put to sea.

Here's a more comprehensive Wiki description with history ...

So, additional secret equipment and armory, maybe sponsored by Mrs. W. B. Franke, who sponsered the whole construction, or maybe through tax dollars lol and thus kept more secret, it doesn't matter, they just wanted to be prepared for all possible circumstances, or maybe that was to be secretly delivered somewhere else ... Hey, we all know what they're all doing and have been doing since forever lol ... However, it has served for a long time, and as it's been said on the Wiki page

Newport News Shipbuilding will deactivate and de-fuel the ship, which will then be formally decommissioned once all nuclear fuel has been removed. The process is scheduled to begin in mid-2013 and be completed in 2016.

On Friday October 3, 2014, Huntington Ingalls Newport News Shipbuilding said that its workers had transferred an anchor from the USS Enterprise (CVN-65), the Navy's first and oldest nuclear carrier, to the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), a Nimitz-class carrier launched in 1988, during that week.

Really, very interesting how you associate the secret rooms in D'ni with anything or even military stuff in RL ... Yeah, but hey, calroger, see you maybe tomorrow at the Wall Tournament ... :D

I'd like to add and thus take away the mystery of those secret or hidden rooms and areas lol by assuming that those are just by Can already prepared areas and story elements, they just hadn't the chance to develop further and provide and open to the public ... :)
janaba

MOULa KI#: 0
TOC-MOUL KI#: 0
Gehn Shard KI#: 0

Postby Korovev » Sat 22. Nov 2014, 11:08

I’ve read a similar story about a house, and ships are routinely thoroughly inspected, so it’s most likely a myth. Spare equipment is stored in locked rooms, not in sealed ones ;)

Maybe OT, but I did find a showcase about real hidden rooms :)
ImageImage
Ready-made shard wrappers, Wineskin guide, D’ni language notes, D’ni UCSUR font, DniTools
ReGalpo Rilesa téníen šemtí!
Korovev

MOULa KI#: 46116
TOC-MOUL KI#: 236871
TOC-TPOTS KI#: 55350
DI KI#: 194197
Gehn Shard KI#: 137074
Minkata KI#: 132812

Postby Cpt-Jericho » Sun 23. Nov 2014, 14:21

They discovered the ship's gremlin's workshop. :lol:
Sailors tell a lot of stories when on shore leave. Stories of mermaids, giant squids or the "Klabautermann". This one is a leaky as other stories.
Equal amongst other in the Guild of Sleepers
TOC Status: Image
Cpt-Jericho

Postby janaba » Sun 23. Nov 2014, 16:34

Cpt-Jericho wrote:They discovered the ship's gremlin's workshop. :lol:
Sailors tell a lot of stories when on shore leave. Stories of mermaids, giant squids or the "Klabautermann". This one is a leaky as other stories.

... :lol:
janaba

Return to Off-Topic